Friday, April 20, 2007

V.Tech NBC Controversy

I am extremely sensitive to victims families in a tragedy. (I guess it takes one to know one). It's super hard to be on the outside. I remember thinking about the Oklahoma City Bombing tragedy and how, because I was removed, the footage and coverage made me shudder and I was sad for it, but it didn't bother me to know it was on the air. But then once you are on the inside, at least for me, you become super sensitive to anyone mentioning it, even something short in passing, I think, what right do they have? What do they know? And I most definitely don't want to see pictures or videos or anything that would give a visual to my horrible memory.
I'm assuming this is what the victims families felt, and why they canceled their appearance on NBC after NBC decided to air the "mulitmedia manifesto".
The two sides are that, one, showing the footage let the killer re-victimize his targets, on the other hands people are concerned and want to know what caused this, and its a journalistic responsibility to show what drove this.
I personally feel that the footage should not have been aired. I just think it was too much too soon. And as it was brought up in an article, its an unfortuante 15 minutes of fame that perhaps could drive copycat killers to the same thing. It makes me so upset that someone would take the lives of innocent people, if you are going to kill yourself, how selfish is it to take along others, who are just like me and you, with them? Its a serious, heartbreaking issue. I think its unfortunate that the image of the killer saying, you had a hundred billion ways of stopping this.,,, is not one that I needed to be burned into my memory. I think I understood he was not right in the head already...

I just had an interesting discussion at lunch with workmates about this, and one man, sarcastically, acting like a reporter leaned across the table pretending to hold a mic up to another workmates face and said "how did you feel, sitting next to your best friend who was shot three times..."and he went on from there like....how the heck do you think I should feel?
Exactly.

1 comment:

Maria Dinzeo said...

I agree with your stance on not airing the footage. This guy viewed himself as some kind of Messiah figure, and by airing the footage, NBC allowed him to spread his message to others, giving him a voice when he really deserved to die in obscurity. They were definitely putting ratings ahead of decorum.