Sunday, April 8, 2007

You know I'm from the OC


So I had the privilidge of interview Adam Brody, who most might know from the television show The OC. I did my homework and read up a bunch about him, and about his new movie In The Land Of Women (the reason I was interviewing)
I found myself thinking about my ethics of interviewing essay when I started writing out my questions!
I know hes in a band and likes good music so my first question was going to be something like...

You have a great taste in music, what bands are you listening to now? Do you get any imput on the soundtract of the movies you work on? Is there any song you are excited about in The Land Of Women?

Then I realized... This is Adam Brody, an attractive 27 year old, actor, and the first words out of my mouth were going to be something..semi flirtatious? Complimenting him to get a good answer. For such a question as meaningless as this, does it necessarily matter?

I also read that he hates it when people tell him they are from the Real OC. I read a past interview where he says that he doesn't mind if theres teenagers going up to him talking to him about the show, but he really hates it when its people his age or older, he said in another interview "its like, you're 30, like I care if you are from the real oc, or how you feel the show is actually different than your OC, I can't think of a more boring conversation"

If I could ask more questions I almost wanted to dive into that, and tell him I was from the real oc and, to me, it matters how its portrayed and my pride of being from there, but I could see how maybe that might be a better discussion for the producers, but hes the one representing it. But I guess he just doesn't really care.

he was, lackluster, meaning that there was no great personality that came through in his interview. He answered the questions and that was that, It seems he couldn't make up his mind on what he wanted to say and I would almost have to piece together his thoughts to make a coherent sentence.

For Example:

What do you like better? Films or television?
"Well I like flims.....I like tele.....Its hard to sa..... I have a better schedule with it."
With....what now? with it meaning.....film? tv?.. Great sound bite.

Anyway. this was my first 'big' interview and I have to say it was definitely nervewracking and once I started hearing his voice I felt better. But all because of that ethics of interviewing essay I find myself questioning my questions and what would be right or wrong to say!

1 comment:

Jonahlynn said...

wow that's so cool! I think it's interesting when you get to interview someone who's kind of famous and you're doing you're job yet at the same time trying to calm your nerves.. I don't know how I would have handled it if I had to interview a celebrity I admired.. and it makes me wonder if other journalists feel that way sometimes and how do they go about their interviews.. one ethical question that comes to my mind is what are the ethics behind interviewing celebrities, if there are any? Especially celebrities that you look up to.. say for example a journalist has been wanting to meet a certain celeb his/her whole life and when they get the opportunity to do it for their job.. would it be right to ask them questions that the person have always wanted to know or to just stick to what a journalist would want to know?